Toronto Police were called to REBEL on Friday night for two reported drug-related medical incidents.
According to a Toronto Paramedic Services spokesperson, three people were taken to hospital, and one woman later died. Toronto Police told CityNews they were called to the venue—previously known as Sound Academy—for two reported drug-related medical incidents, as well as four other calls.
In a statement provided to THUMP by the venue's owners, INK Entertainment said, "We extend our sincerest condolences to the family and friends of the patron who passed away, and will keep them in our prayers during this difficult time. REBEL has a zero tolerance drug policy, and also subjects every patron entering the venue to a full search. Anyone who is caught with an illegal substance is immediately denied entry. We employ an EMS company on-site for every music concert and club night."
"When you have a big star playing and you know it's a younger crowd that likes a certain type of drug, there needs to be a very strong medical plan for what can and mostly likely will be, overdoses," said city councillor Paula Fletcher, who called for a review of the incident and stricter oversight at similar events in the future.
THUMP will continue to update this story as it develops.