Nihiti mixes Marcel Dettman and Planetary Assault Systems with Nas and Biggie Smalls.
Photo courtesy of Marylene Mey.
New York label and club night Bunker is known for booking and releasing some of the deepest, weirdest techno around. They also have an ongoing mix series that includes offerings from the likes of DJ Nobu and Patrick Russell. Their latest mix—number 136—comes from New York based producer Nihiti, and it's a fascinating twist on what a techno mix can be. Subtitled "Shook Nones State Of Mind Vol. I" (a play on Nas' "NY State of Mind" and Mobb Deep's "Shook Ones, Pt. II") the mix combines classic Berghain techno tracks from the likes of Marcel Dettman and Planetary Assault Systems with a broad array of rap vocals from 90s icons like Nas and Biggie Smalls, with a Vince Staples track thrown in for good measure. Over email, Nihiti explained how the mix came to be.
"The idea was kicking around in our heads for years—we wanted to see what it would sound like to marry mystical techno vibes with the masterfully desolate urban poetry that emerged from New York City in the early 90s," he explained. "It was apparent that this was a great idea after the first few edits, and from there we proceeded to make more and more edits and eventually some originals as well. It's been 20 years since most of these words were penned and it is somewhat unfortunate that the anti-authoritarian message inherent in these lyrics is as powerful and relevant in 2016 as it ever was."
Check out the stream below.
- Nathan Jonson - "Softly" (Lo Bit Landscapes)
- The Surveyor - "Wickeder"
- Cut Hands - "Nzambi La Ngonde" (Susan Lawly)
- Marcel Dettmann - "Corebox (James Ruskin Blueprint Mix)" (MDR)
- Planetary Assault Systems - "Om the Def" (Ostgut Ton)
- Thomas Hessler - "Perception" (Index Marcel Fengler)
- Mathew Jonson - "Marionette" (Wagon Repair)
- Nihiti - "Crooked On the Two" (Unreleased)
- Christoph de Babalon - "Brilliance" (Digital Hardcore)
- Ben Klock - "Before Onel" (Ostgut Ton)
- Nihiti - "The Ten Track Commandments" (Unreleased)